Monday, June 1, 2009

Tempting Tulips

Happy Monday to you! Today I have a card I made for the Featured Stamper challenge at SCS and the Timeless Tuesday challenge on the Flourishes blog. The Flourishes Timeless Tuesday challenge this week was to use sponging. Well, I couldn't pass that up, could I? The featured stamper this week is Rox71. She has a stunning gallery and is also the hostess of the weekly sketch challenge at SCS. I am so thrilled to see her get this honor. I chose this card by Roxie for inspiration. We were to changes at least two things. I changed...

Used different stamps (but similar)
Different sketch
Added more brown, less yellow

Here are the details...


I stamped both tulips from Flourishes Thank You Tulips stamp set. I used Memento ink on Pure Luxury paper. Then I colored with Copics, starting with R29.

Added R27

Added R24

Added R22.

Added R20, leaving the very tips of some of the petals white.

For the leaves and stems, I used YG03, YG93 and YG95. I knew I was going to cut these images out, so I intentionally colored over the lines on the stems. I often do this if I am planning to cut out an image, particularly around the narrow parts, so there will be no white showing if I don't right on the lines. You can add color after cutting if you do have white showing, but this saves time.

I cut out both images. For the smaller tulip, I also disassembled it by cutting off the stem and leaf. I did this because I wanted the flower curved the other direction, so by cutting off the stem and flipping it around I was able to make it curce the opposite way.

For my background, I cut a small piece of Pure Luxury white cardstock and sponged the center with So Saffron ink.

Then I sponged some Regal Rose ink.

Finally I added some Real Red ink, going pretty dark near the edges.


Then I just assembled my pieces, adhering the tulips to my background. The designer paper is from the Bittersweet collection from Basic Grey. I used Pure Luxury Chocolate Kiss to layer and Pure Luxury Ivory base weight for my card base.

I want to thank Helen Dooley for giving me this award. Thanks, Helen!

And now I will leave you with a conspiracy theory random thought about the key chain panic buttons that come with most modern vehicles these days. I used to think that you are supposed to press the panic button if you are in a panic. I've recently come to the conclusion that you are to press the panic button to cause panic. Don't ask me how I have come to this conclusion. Just know that a smarter person could have derived this theory after only a few isolated "incidents," but it took me years of um... experimentation.

14 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful card hun, stunning creation as always, sue,x

Tracey said...

An incredible card Theresa! Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous!! You never cease to amaze me!!

Daniel August said...

WOW!!

Loved the colour combination and the background that you made!!

Absolutely stunning!

Greetings from Daniel
*Norway*

craftimamma said...

This card is stunning and you've used the tulips I absolutely love.

Your tutorials are amazing too.

Lesley Xx

Beth S said...

Oh Theresa this card is absolutely beautiful.

buggin2stamp said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! You have such amazing coloring skills. Melissa

Sharri said...

Theresa, This is just stunning! I love the colors and those tulips are gorgeous!

the PaperTemptress said...

I am curious, what do you use to sponge with? I love your technique and want to make sure I do it right!

NinaB said...

Wow, this is just stunning! I would love to spend a couple of hours just watching you color. I think I could learn a ton.

Cat Tidwell said...

Oh this is just gorgeous as always Theresa! LOVE how you colored the flowers! and you sure they didnt do that challenge just for you? LOL! perfect sponging too!

And I want to know more of that panic button story, lmao!!!

Elena said...

You always amaze me with your wonderful cards, Theresa! Thank you so much for your talent!

Lori said...

Your a funny girl Theresa. Don't panic though! Your card and coloring are beautiful!

lisa808 said...

Truly gorgeous card.