Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reflections of Nature

Good morning! Wow, this week is zooming by. It's Thursday again, and my guest designer Deb Neerman has another Happy Camper project to share with you on her blog here. You're going to love the project she posted today!

On my project I used the reflection technique to create mountain lake scene. Here are the details...

To start, I stamped the mountain stamp, from Happy Camper, on a piece of Pure Luxury cardstock. Then I stamped it again on a Mirror Image Stamp (purchased from Michaels). If you don't have a mirror image stamp, you can improvise with a piece of acetate or the plastic sheet that comes with your Stamp-a-ma-jig.

Then I stamped the reflection using the mirror image stamp. You might want to "huff" on the stamp if you aren't working fast. I took a little too long to stamp my image and didn't get a great impression. I did "huff" on it, but apparently I don't have as much hot air as my DH would have me to believe.

I used Copics to color my image, starting with BG10, C3 and my blender pen. Sorry, C3 was camera shy for that photo. I colored the reflection, also, but didn't apply as much color.

For the upright trees, I used YG95 and YG97. For the reflected trees, I used YG93 and YG95, so they would be lighter. I also used my blender pen to smear the color out a bit. so the coloring wouldn't be too well defined.

For the boulders in the distace, I used W1, C1 and C3.

I used G21, E35 and my blender pen to fill in the ground in front of the mountain.

Then I heat embossed the whole image with clear embossing powder before sponging. After embossing, I sponged a bit of So Saffron ink for the sun light, also sponging in the reflection, only much lighter.

Sponged Bashful Blue around the yellow, again repeating in the reflection, only lighter.

Then I sponged some Ballet Blue ink.

In the foreground, I sponged Old Olive ink and then stamped a tree from Tree Silhouettes, repeatedly.

I layered the panel with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and then added a tent from Happy Camper, which I had colored with Copics and cut out. The card base is Kiwi Kiss (SU In Color from last year).

Thanks for visiting me! I hope you have a fun day!

10 comments:

peggysue said...

Your coloring is exquisite, I want to go camping there! :)

Trish said...

Great scene. I love your work and your tutorials are wonderful. Thanks for sharing and for all the time you give.
Trish

Deb Neerman said...

Omigosh, Theresa, this is drop-dead-gorgeous!!!! LOVE your coloring and the mirror image is perfect! What an amazing card ... not that I'm at all surprised, lolol!

~Hugs!!

coldwaters2 said...

Gosh I am stunned by the beauty of this creation and your step by step detail just make it even more stunning as we can see the image grow into this wonder. I am totally in awe of your talent.

Hugs
Lorraine x

Mitz said...

Thank you Theresa for this tutorial! I love making scenes like this. I have the reverse image stamp from Michaels also and was disappointed with the faint image when I tried to reverse the direction a stamp was facing, even though I huffed on it. Your card makes me want to try it again :)
Mitz

craftimamma said...

Beautiful card Theresa. Oh to be viewing that fabulous scenery in real life.

Lesley Xx

AKiteFlier said...

Scrumdiddlyumptious Theresa - want to be there right now! Reminds me of where I was in early July (sans tent though) - see my photos here:

http://gallery.me.com/pimholz#100024&bgcolor=black&view=grid

If you scroll down (I know there are 100 pics here but I shot 800!!) you'll see my first reflection photos - I was SO excited to get these pics! Now to turn them into cards like you do. *sigh*
Hugs!

JazzyH said...

Beautiful! It is so realistic.

I had never heard of a mirror image stamp. Thanks for sharing.

Norine said...

everything you do is just so pretty
? what kind of sponge do you use for the backgd I have tried everything and it doesnt come out smooth
Hugs
Norine

Anonymous said...

Wow! You never cease to amaze me with your work! This is truly awesome...I love it!