Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gina K Preview Day 3 - Two Sets!

Today I am previewing two sets for the new Gina K Designs release, so be sure to scroll down to see them both. I hope you'll join us in the forums at Split Coast Stampers for the release party tonight from 7pm-10pm central time. All the sets will be revealed in full and there will be contests and challenges, and of course, lots of fun chatting.

Wreath of Wishes

The first set I am showing is Wreath of Wishes, the new "free with three" set for this month. This floral wreath can be colored to suit any season. For more projects using this set, hop on over to see what the rest of the team has done.



I colored the wreath with Copic markers. (Y21, Y17, YR12, YR16, YG03, YG05)

I embossed the image with clear embossing powder and sponged the background with So Saffron and Apricot Appeal ink. Then I used the wreath, inked in Apricot Appeal and stamped around the edges.

And here is a close-up of the completed card.


A Charmed Life
Next up is Melanie Muenchinger's newest set, A Charmed Life. Isn't that wine glass gorgeous? There are a ton of charms and sentiments to make projects for nearly any occasion. I have a tutorial below on how to create that transparent look in the wine glass, but in the meantime, why don't you stroll on over to see what the rest of the design team has uncorked?


I started by stamping the Zinnia, from A Year of Flowers (another Melanie set) on Pure Luxury White (layering weight) with Momento black ink. I colored it with Copic markers and then cut it out. (RV21, RV23, RV25, colorless blender)

Next I stamped the wine glass on Pure Luxury white (layering weight) using Momento black ink. Then I stamped the flower again, this time using gray ink.

I used the same colors on the Zinnia behind the glass, but I kept the them quite a bit lighter.

For the wine, I used R22, R24 and R27. I went over the whole area with R22, leaving a few small areas white to serve as reflected light. Then I just added the darker colors around the edges.

I thought it was going to be hard to color shade the glass, but it really wasn't difficult at all. Melanie added some nice shading lines on the bottom that you can use as a guide. I used C1 and C3 around the sides, rim and shading lines. For the heart charm, I used R27 and again left a small area white to give it some dimension. Next, I cut the glass out.

To assemble the card, I place the glass over the flower I cut out earlier and rotated it to match up where they overlap. The lighter coloring that I did one the glass/flower makes it look like the light is being diffused by the glass, giving it the appearance of transparency.

The silhouette flowers in the background are from Tropical Flowers, stamped with Bravo Burgundy ink. The layers are Black Onyx (new Pure Luxury color from Gina K!), Apricot Appeal and Riding Hood Red.

If you look closely at the background paper on the top layer, you will see a glimpse of some new digital paper from Gina K. In addition to new digital paper from Gina, Emily Giovanni is releasing her own digital paper for Gina K Designs. You are going to love these new designs and some of them will even be FREE! I'll be previewing some projects using the new digi papers during the release party. I hope to see you there!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great day!

29 comments:

Melanie said...

I HEART this card!! :) thanks for the props on "the shading lines" :) I've tried colorign the glass now with every coloring medium I own, and it really IS pretty easy, isn't it?? hip hip hurray!
thanks for sharing your tutorial!

Jan Castle said...

Appreciate you sharing how it's done! Lovely card.
Jan Castle

Cathy said...

Beautiful card Theresa, as usual. Thanks for the Congrat's too. See you tonight!

Sharri said...

Theresa, your cards are gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial! I am going to give it a try.

Lee said...

Beeeeeautiful Theresa!!! OMGosh I LOVE Melanie's new set!!!! Well, of course I love 'em all!! But charms!!!! How fun!!!

Tracey said...

These are both gorgeous cards Theresa!! xx

Chelsea said...

I love the lookf of this flower through the glass ... gorgeous!!!

Kurtis said...

This is so cool! Love the little reflections.

buggin2stamp said...

Both of your cards are absolutely stunning.

Cat Tidwell said...

*picks jaw up off floor* OMG Theresa! that wine glass...just ...what can I say, amazing! awesome! gorgeous!! ALL of the above! LOL! I LOVE how you did the transparency of the glass....will have to try this! And the wreath, beautiful! I love how you stamped it on the edges too under the sponging! cannot WAIT to get these sets...

Patti J said...

TOO cute Theresa! Love the wine glass...and the wreath...oh well, as usual, I just love them all!!! Beautiful job!

Unknown said...

You are simply a rock star, my friend!!! I LOVE your tutorial and the shading on both the flower and glass is stunning!!!

Elena said...

The wreath is so precious, Theresa! I love your fine and deatiled coloring!
Your glass of wine is absolutely amazing! The way how you made the flower under the glass is fabulous! Thank you so much Theresa for sharing your creativity! And thank you for your wonderful tutorials!

lisa808 said...

Wow! Amazing! Gorgeous! What else can I say about your cards?!?!?

JessicaK said...

THANKS for the step-by-step. Instructions do help :D. Great shading job, too.

Tamara said...

Thanks for the tutorial on how you got the flower to look so great! I am totally amazed by all of the DT this month, and how they made the wine glass look so realistic.

Sheila D said...

OMG this is beautiful. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I would have never figured it out for myself. You do amazing stuff.

Carolina said...

Ohhhh just darlin'! Love the flower in the background!!!

Carolyn King said...

Love both of your amazing cards. (Great tutorials too) So clever with that flower--what a stunning creation!

Carolyn King said...

SHUT UP! I just had to scroll WAY down because of the long post and just saw your alzheimer's logo. You are such a sweetie. (wiping tear!-seriously, my eyes filled with tears.) Thank you!

Donna Baker said...

WOWZA, woman! I LOVE your flower peeking behind the glass - would have NEVER thought to do that! your wreath card is pretty with your nice sponging

Anonymous said...

These were great cards and I so appreciate the transparency tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
Kristina G

Anonymous said...

These were great cards and I so appreciate the transparency tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
Kristina G

Linsey R said...

Ooooooo, Ahhhhhhh!!!! I'm pretty much speechless and can't seem to find the words to express how very spectacular these sneaks are, Theresa! Oh my goodness, you're simply amazing and completely inspiring, my friend! TFS it with us all and I cant wait to see more tonight! xoxo

Toni K said...

This is a phenominal card! You know I'm a huge fan of your coloring and sponging, but you've outdone yourself! Love it!

Shirley said...

Both cards are gorgeous of course!! Love that charm on the last one too!

Deb Neerman said...

Just beautiful!

The wine glass card is extra-amazing, though ... thanks so much for 'splaining how you did it!

Deb Wood said...

Have I told you lately that you ROCK!! This are utterly divine, you sure do know how to color and sponge!! You pick great images too!

Nanette said...

I love the look on both cards, but on the first card how do you emboss an already colored in stamped image?