Thursday, April 16, 2009

Friendly Daisy

Hello and happy Friday to you all! The next release for Gina K Designs is coming up next week with previews starting Monday! This month Gina is releasing 7 new stamp sets, the new Chocolate Kiss Pure Luxury cardstock, four new digital paper packs, one of which will be FREE, and more.

She also just got in the new Scor-bug, from Scor-pal, available now. I placed an order yesterday because I didn't want to risk having those sell out. Hopefully, it will be here in time for me to use it on some of my release previews. I have been wanting one of these since I saw the reviews of it at the last CHA.

Yesterday I played along with the SCS challenge to use frames. I decided to make Nestabilities frames on my card. Here are of few details...


I used my Memento markers to color the daisy from Flowers For Daisy. First I stamped my image with Stazon, on quality watercolor paper, and heat embossed it. Then I used the Cantaloupe Memento marker just in the very centers of the petals.

Just a note - I have tried this technique on poor quality watercolor paper and the results were not nearly as good as using a better quality watercolor paper.

Used the Dandelion Memento marker on the tips and just past where I colored in the previous set, leaving the middle portion white.

Next, I used my water brush to blend the colors. They actually blended so well that I wanted to lift some yellow off the lightest areas of the petals. So I used a paper towel to pull some of the color off.

Tip - You can remove color from watercolored images by wetting the area where you want to lift the color and then pressing a paper towel on it. The long the color has had to work into the paper, the more difficult this is, but you can usually get it at least a few shades lighter, even if it has dried completely.


I wanted a little more depth on my flower, to I added just a bit of Tangelo to the very center of each petal.

For the center of the daisy, I used Dandelion, Potter's Clay and Rich Cocoa, then blended with my water brush.
I used the emboss resist technique on my background. I didn't want the flower from the background to overlap into the framed area, so I made a mask, to cover the area, using my nestabilities. Then I stamped the large flower from Botanical Dreams with Versa Mark, then heat embossed them with clear embossing powder.

Sponged with Certainly Celery ink.

Sponged with Old Olive ink.


To make my scalloped oval Nestabilities frame, I nested an oval die inside the next size up scallop oval die.
Then I turned the dies over, leaving them nested, and placed them on the cardstock that I wanted to cut. Then I ran it though my Cuttlebug, like I normally would, creating a double cut in one pass.

Here you can see the framed piece after I removed the oval. There are also two other frames I cut, in graduated sizes. The black frame was done with two plain ovals, rather than one of each. I just added adhesive and stacked them, to create a layered frame.

I placed the frame over the background and then added my cut out daisy. The sentimen, from Botanical Dreams was cut using my nestabilities and layered with a Kiwi Kiss scalloped oval. I layerd a piece of So Saffron behind the background layer and then added a piece of olive grosgrain ribbon (from the STV Floral Frenzy Kit). Then I layer of black and a card base of Kiwi Kiss.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day!

11 comments:

Patti J. said...

Great job Theresa! I love the embossing, and your frame is just beautiful! Have a great Friday! (Off to work I go...)

Sue said...

Another stunning card theresa, beautiful colours, i luv your creations, sue.x

Elena said...

Very beautiful card! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card as always! What kind of watercolor paper do you use?

Robin McK said...

WOW! Such a great job on this! Great idea for the Nesties frame!

6 wacky women said...

Gorgeous card, Theresa.
I just love the embossed background. Beautiful flower too.

Karen x

Sandy Knecht said...

Wow, this card Pops!!! I like it!

Shirley said...

So beautiful and I love what you did with the diecuts. I need to try that!

Becky said...

Just gorgeous, and thanks for the tutorial.

Deb Neerman said...

Love this!! Your background is gorgeous!

Lee said...

That bg is soooo fabulous!!! And the framing with the Nesties.....very pretty!!!