Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hibiscus Sunset

Happy Weekend! Last week we had temperatures in the 90s and this weekend its raining and in the 50s. Mike and I did manage to get a 12 mile hike in yesterday, but no pretty pictures since it drizzled on us the whole way. This card makes me feel better. I would love to be there, enjoying a nice warm sunset. 

I started by stamping the hibiscus, from Aloha, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Then I colored with Copics, starting with Y17. 

Added Y23. 

Added Y21, leaving some white spaces. 

Then I used  my blender pen. By saturating the white area, I was able to push some of the yellow into that area, for a smoother transition to my highlights. I went back with Y17 to deepen the shading and add some veining to the petals. 

I stamped the flower a second time on scratch paper and cut it out to make a mask. Then I adhered it over the first flower using re-positionable tape. Next, I sponged Memento Cantaloupe ink. 

I punched a 1.5 inch circle and adhered that to the background, also using re-positionable tape, to mask for a sun. Then I sponged more Cantaloupe ink around the sun. 

Sponged Memento Tangelo ink. 

Then sponged Memento Rose Bud ink. 

I removed the sun mask and place sticky notes across the top, where I wanted the horizon line. Then I sponged Memento Tangelo ink. 

 Sponged Memento Rose Bud.

I removed the sticky notes and stamped the sand/cloud image using Memento London Fog ink, which I stamped off once on scratch paper before stamping on my background.

Used C1 and C3 to shade the clouds. 

Stamped the sailboat, also from Aloha, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. 

Used RV25, YR04 and an opaque white gel pen to add some waves. Used C1 for a shadow in front of the boat. 

I added some Doodle Bug glitter to the hibiscus using my Quickie Glue Pen. I layered with Pure Luxury Black Onyx and used a Passionate Pink card base.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day!

14 comments:

peggy wainman said...

gorgeous! You are definitely a master at sponging a scene! :)

Carrie K said...

Wow! This is GORGEOUS!!

Joan V said...

Theresa, this is so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your technique. I hope to do a card like this some day.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful scene! Your coloring is really amazing! I love all of your wonderful cards! Sue (suen)

Carolina said...

Beautiful card Theresa!!! Love your tutorials, I always learn something new...thanks for taking the time to put them together!

Eve said...

this is just, Beautiful!!! It made me feel homesick... Gorgeous color!!

Betty Benton said...

Another beautiful card, Theresa!

Linda Carson said...

WOW! Picture PERFECT artwork!

Vicki Dutcher said...

OMGosh~~ This is absolutely stunning! I don't know how you manage to out do yourself but you sure do it well!!

Anonymous said...

Just W-O-W!
That certainly takes the chill out of a late October morning here in Ireland. You are sooooo talented.

Mary Mac

Mrs Mac said...

Gorgeous! And so clever! Thanks for the tutorial!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Theresa- This is so beautiful- now I want a tropical drink! LOL

Patti J said...

Oh my goodness, I'm tired just reading 12 miles, much less hiking 12 miles! You go girl! Beautiful card, Theresa, as always! Thanks for another wonderful tutorial :)

Janine said...

Ooh I so want to be there - another great card - I might have to try and case this with stamps and inks that I have. Thanks for sharing