Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Anniversary Fish Tutorial

Hello! Today is my 25th wedding anniversary and this is the card I made for my husband. To celebrate, we took a trip to Jamaica recently and had such a fun time. We did a ton of snorkeling, so I decided to make his anniversary card with my new set, Under The Sea.

On the inside of the card, I used a sentiment and the palm tree from another of my sets, Aloha. I stamped the sentiment with Memento Tuxedo Black and the palm with Memento Bamboo Leaves.

I have the step by step photos to show you how I made the background, but I didn't take images of the coloring of the fish for this card. I used the same colors as a previous card, you can find here, if you'd like to see how I colored the them.

I cut a piece of Pure Luxury white card stock to 3 ¼ by 4 ½ inches, then sponged Memento Bahama Blue. I was trying to create the look of light rays coming through the water, so I sponged mainly from the edges toward the upper corner, instead of using a swirling motion. 

Then I sponged Memento Teal Zeal. I started trying to work in darker patches.

Then sponged Memento Nautical Blue.

 Then I used an opaque white gel pen to draw in some bubbles and some lines, following the direction of the sponging.
I stamped the seaweed and a silhouette fish, using Memento Gray Flannel. I stamped off the ink on scratch paper before stamping on the background, to create a lighter image.

To layer, I used Pure Luxury Turquoise Sea. I did the two tone scalloped edge using Spellbinders™ Edgeabilities® Classic Postage. I cut an edge on my card stock, using the die template turned around to create the scallops turned out instead of in. Then I cut another edge, using Pure Luxury In The Navy.

Then I just layered the pieces together and trimmed the ends.

The card base is 4 ¼ by 5 ½ inches and made from Pure Luxury Ocean Mist. I added a sentiment, from Farm Life, using Spellbinders Labels 4 Nestabilities™. I added some self adhesive pearls from Zva Creative.

That's the end of the tutorial. Now I have a few photos to share from our anniversary trip for anyone that is interested. If you are looking for links to any of the products I used, you can skip past and find the product list at the bottom of the post. For those of you that are leaving, I hope you have a great day! And now on to my Jamaica photos….

 We stayed at a really great resort that was all inclusive, so we may have imbibed just a tad more than we should have, but hey it was our anniversary trip, so we were justified, right? I loved this spot. There were a bunch of starfish in the water, just over this railing. The kept it lit up all night, so you could come see the starfish any time.

We were goofing off in the sand.

Just one I snapped on the beach. We realized when the vacation was nearly over that we didn't have many photos of us together.

This is how I spent most of my time. Ah, the good life.


We took a boat tour on the Black River and saw this guy right by the dock. He was huge! We were a safe distance, in the boat, but I couldn't believe how close some of the locals would get, when they were just walking by. I guess they are used to seeing crocs everyday.

We took a little boat out to a bar in the ocean.

Here is the bar. It is called the Pelican Bar and it is built mostly out of drift wood. Kinda rickety, but fun.

A raft tour we took was through the jungle. The guide was so fun. At one spot, he stopped and gave us pedicures, using sandstone mud. It's supposed to be a local curative. So we spent much of the tour with mud caked on our legs. We did feel very refreshed afterwards, so there may be something to it.

 We went to a place called Rocklands Bird Sanctuary were we got to have feed hummingbirds. That was quite a remarkable experience. The hummingbirds would land right on your finger to rest while they drank and little birds would land right on you looking for seed.

One of the pretty birds we saw while there.

Just one snorkeling photo. We didn't get any really good underwater photos, but this guy inspired one of the images in my Under The Sea set, so I decide to include this picture.

Thanks for stopping by and letting me ramble on. I hope you have a wonderful day!

21 comments:

Martina said...

Great Tuturial again!
But wow...what great photos of your anniversary trip to Jamaica! This looks like paradise! Absolute stunning!!!
Martina

Judy Inukai said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. Your photos are gorgous. What a great way to celebrate. Your card, as always is wonderful.

Victoria H. said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! What a phenomenal card!!!

Melissa said...

Awesome card, tut and pics T! Congrats on your 25th! Would love to know where you went in Jamaica as we would love to go sometime soon.

Jan Castle said...

Congrats on 25 years...you two still look like kids! Appears to have been a REALLY fun trip for you both.
Great card...can really see the light streaming into the water - great job!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Casmiles said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! I loved your pictures - they captured such fun parts of your celebration!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Happy 25!! What a milestone! Fabulous photos of your trip == you and DH look like kindred spirits! Congrats, and I see why your snorkeling inspired your set! :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

Happy 25!! What a milestone! Fabulous photos of your trip == you and DH look like kindred spirits! Congrats, and I see why your snorkeling inspired your set! :)

Kerry T said...

You are so talented. Happy Anniversary! Today is also my Anniversary. Great photos of your trip.
Kerry

mommakcrafts.blogspot.com

brochure printing said...

All these card very pretty and you have a great experience of work. Happy anniversary! I loved your pictures and the designs of the card. Beautiful card, love the colors and all the little details.

Anonymous said...

Love that you shared your trip with us! Looks like an amazing time! Beautiful card btw!!!!

Janine said...

Your trip looks wonderful.

Hope and Chances said...

Amazing photos - you fed a Hummingbird - that's just incredible! :)

Lynn B. said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. That's quite a milestone! Your card is superb too! Thanks for the tutorial. Glad you had such a lovely anniversary trip.

Becky said...

What fabulous photos Theresa, sounds and looks like you two had a fabulous time.

Pitchoune said...

I love your cards! congratulations! had nice time,A+

Jennie said...

Beautiful card Theresa and love the bubbles...
Now your pictures of Jamaica...WOW! What fun you had and Happy Belated Anniversary!! 25 years is quite an accomplishment and what a wonderful trip to take. Loves seeing the pics and that hummingbird is amazing, cool how you got so close.

Angela said...

Gorgeous card! I can't believe you've been married 25 years! Congrats!

Teresa said...

Congratulations on being married for 25yrs! That's wonderful and I love your pictures from your trip. I don't think I would have gone near that croc either and I love the view from your chair! Thanks for sharing all the pics and hope you had fun :)

Melanie said...

Wowee on that card and WOWEEE on all your pics!! looks like a fabulous anniversary trip!! still in love!

scrapdiva77 said...

Love all of your beautiful cards and THANKS fo the best tutorials on the web. Congrats on 25 yrs of wedded bliss. The pictures are beautiful. It looks like the resort was wonderful too.