Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rustic Birthday Card Tutorial

 Hello there! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Today I have a card using Country Roads stamp set. Before I get to the details of my card, I want to let you know there is a new Gina K Designs release and release party on Thursday morning, at 11am Central. Here is a peek at my new set coming out…

Time to start stamping for Christmas!

I also want to let you know about a special blog hop by the GKD CSS Design Team this Saturday. They will be featuring sets illustrated by myself and Melanie Muenchinger!

 To make my card, I started by stamping the truck, from Country Roads, on Pure Luxury White CS. I used Copic markers to color, starting with R08.

 Next, added R05.

 Then filled in with R02.

 For a little more contrast, I added E17 to the shadows.

 I used C3 to shade the chrome sections. After coloring, I cut out the image.

 Next, I used a die template from Spellbinders™ Nestabilities® A2 Matting Basics B, then sponged Memento Toffee Crunch, while still in the die template. 

Used a torn sticky note to mask, then sponged Memento Bamboo Leaves.

 Then I used W3 Copic to shade along the green.

 Added W1.

 Then I added some dots, using Memento Markers London Fog and Desert Sand.

 Then I stamped the smaller tree, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

 I began coloring with YG01.

 Added YG95.

 Then added YG97.

 For the trunk, I used E57, then added W3 for the shadow.

I cut a piece of Pure Luxury Honey Mustard to 5 inches wide and even though I wanted the finished size to be 3 3/4 inches high, I cut it larger so I could tear it later. Then I sponged Memento Morocco ink around the edges.


I tore the bottom of the Honey Mustart layer, then I used another die template, from A2 Matting Basics B to emboss a frame. The card base is Pure Luxury Dark Chocolate and finished size is 5 ½ by 4 ¼ inches. The sentiment is from GKD Pleasant Plurals, stamped on white and cut out. 

Thanks for stopping by. I hope this is an extra special day for you! 




11 comments:

Kathryn said...

I have a question--when you use one of the templates to emboss the frame, do you run it through a Cuttlebug (or other machine), or do you use it on top of your card stock and run a tool around the outside edge, ie. tracing? I love your card, and all your tutorials!

Carolyn King said...

totally pulling this set out today....you are an inspiration my friend. xo

Judy Inukai said...

Great masculine card. I love your tutorials and appreciate the great coloring details.

Rosy Newlun said...

I never get enough of your techniques. And I love your stamp sets Oh, no... another Spellbinders set to put on my wish list LOL.

cjgusloff57 said...

Wow, another wonderful card! All of your cards are works of art! If I received them, I could never through any of them away! Tutorials are great too.

Question: There are two card creator die sets, which one would you recommend A or B? I can only buy one and can't decide which would be the best one to have.

cjgusloff57 said...

oops! I should have said, I could never Throw any of them away!

Theresa Momber said...

@ Kathryn.

Yes, I do run it through my Grand Calibur machine (but you could use a Cuttblebug or other machine), using the base plate, embossing plate and tan embossing mat.

Hope that helps and thank you so much for your kind words!

Theresa Momber said...

@ cjgusloff57

Hi. Thank you so much! I only have the Matting Basics B so far and love it. But I can't say for sure which I would prefer. I suspect I would be just as happy with the A set as the B. The A set will have pretty much the same die templates, but each will be slightly smaller than their B counterparts. Both sets have 7 nesting die templates, but the B set has two long rectangle die templats (for sentiments) and the A set has one, so that is one thing to consider?

cjgusloff57 said...

Thank you! I will give it a little more thought. Corrine Ann

printable birthday invitations said...

Gift photo mugs with our new graphics to make a beautiful and useful birthday gift: a set of four or six chai mugs for the whole family spreads the cheer all around.

Donna Phelan said...

Talk about a blast from the past, I just CASED this! Thanks so much, Theresa! xo~